...a place in the KellyGang story
On the Murray River north west of Wangaratta. See also the town of Yarrawonga
First taken up in in about 1838 by George Kinchington but he does not seem to have stayed long.
The run was taken up by Elizabeth Hume (sister-in-law of the explorer, Hamilton Hume), in1842.
She acquired the Yarroweya [later Yarrawonga] run on the Murray following the murder of her first husband by bushrangers in 1840.
Elizabeth Hume's homestead, Byramine, was built in 1842 and is on the Australian and Victorian historic buildings registers. It is in the locality of Burramine,which is about 14 km. west of Yarrawonga.
Charles Henry Barber married his first cousin, Mary Hume, a daughter of Elizabeth Hume
In 1876 the licence was owned by J Rutherford, 67,200 acres
Where did the name Yarrawonga (Yarroweya) come from
The name is thought to be derived from an Aboriginal word meaning place where the wonga pigeon rested, or water running over rock.
The original aboriginal owners
The first selectors
Enjoy this wonderful part of our history, but Please respect the privacy of the current owners