...a place in the KellyGang story
was on the railway line from Melbourne. It is also on the River Murray and with
Albury a major regional center
It was also clear that Albury rather than Wodonga was the regional commercial centre with many more shops and other services. But Wodonga quickly became a major selling centre for horses, cattle, and sheep.
Port on the Murray River opened 1854
During the 1870s and 1880s horses were brought to Wodonga from all over southern New South Wales to supply the Indian army cavalry. The KellyGang had the best horses in the Empire on their door step to choose from.
The original town was on the Wodonga Creek but with the arrival of the railway the town moved south.
The Wodonga Lagoon was, while it was a billabond still connected to the river, deepened so boats could tie up to the jetty at the end of Wodonga St.
Later another port was established at Redbank. You can still see the old railway embankment that they built to connect the 'new port' to the main railway
The railway line from Melbourne arrived in Wodonga in 1873. It did not go on to Albury until 1883, but prior to that the line from Sydney to Albury had been completed. (Argus20/11/73)
See also (T&C5/4/1873)
The railway really assisted the boom in the popularity of the Wodonga sale yards.
Large numbers of people were also employed in servicing the trains and the railway line
A visitor looked around the town (T&C27/4/1872) (Alexandra12/8/1876)
One of the important homes in the town is called De Kerilleau. The first house was built by William Huon before 1870
Wodonga had a wide range of buinesses incuding baker, butcher, general store, saddlery, boot makwe, doctor, photographer, tabacconist, four mill, cordial factory
Selectors in the area (Argus20/3/79)
The Railway station was built between 1874 and 1876
by J Richardson
See also (Argus17/1/81)
Telegraph OfficeMe Cheyne, operator (Alexandra30/3/1878)
see also Wodonga, the property
Bridge between Wodonga and Albury, problem (Argus22/1/79)
Customs officer D Ferguson
Stores Hillerman and Co’s and Mr Maxwell's (T&C27/4/1872)
New pound established 1876
Pound Keeper William Huon
Water supply (Argus22/1/79)
Wodonga Benefit Building and Investment Society
Wodonga Turf Club
At the time of the Euroa robbert Sup Sadleir went across to Wodonga, and got ready a special train. It was about half-past two when they started, and got to Wangaratta very early in the morning. (RC2011)
Insp O'Connor and the trackers arrived at Wodonga on their way from Queensland (Argus11/3/79)
The Royal Commission found that in the autumn of 1880 the KellyGang were usually in the vicinity of the Greta Swamp, from which they would move back to the ranges, get across the Ovens River towards Sebastopol, and from thence to the Pilot Range, near Wodonga. (RC 2nd report XII)
Enjoy this wonderful part of our history, but Please respect the privacy of the current owners