...a town in the KellyGang story
Representatives from Wahgunyah attended a major meeting to plan for the coming of the railways (Argus15/7/67)
Wahgunyah was a Customs post on the Victoria New South Wales border.
See also for a look at the town (T&C26/3/1870)
The two-storey Wahgunyah post office and residence was built in 1863. (see new post office)
Royal Mail Coaches left from the Wahgunyah Hotel regularly for locations in the area including Corowa. Before the train line was put in to Melbourne, Wahgunyah was connected by a daily coach service.
The wooden shop adjacent the old post office was once one of a chain of Coffee Palaces or temperance hotels throughout Victoria.
See also Wahgunyah squatting run. By 1856
the town had a flour mill and soon after a bond store. The colonies of Victoria
and New South Wales imposed customs duties on the trade across the river.
All Saints Estate winery was established in 1864 by George Smith. It is 4 km north-east of the town
St Leonards winery was established in 1862
Meyers Midarro winery (T&C18/5/1872)
EW Bayliss (T&C18/5/1872)
Wahgunyah and Cowra Wine Co (failed in 1876)
other wineries in the area (T&C18/5/1872)
Outbreak of pleuro pneumonia in the area (Argus1/12/79)
The police at Wahgunyah tried to stop the KellyGang from crossing the River Murray. (Argus4/11/78)
Chandler was the first farmer in the area.
G Anderson and S Rupin (Argus15/7/67)
Mr John Rowan, originator of the Wangaratta Dispatch, and latterly proprietor of the Wahgunyah Chronicle, died at Wahgunyah on Saturday last from congestion of the brain, caused by the habitual taking of laudanum.(Ensign11/7/1873)
Enjoy this wonderful part of our history, but Please respect the privacy of the current owners