...a place in the KellyGang story
The cattle run was first taken up by John Foord and John Crisp in 1841.(30,000 acres) It was about 34,000 acres.John Crisp left the run to live in Wangaratta in 1851. John Foord's sister married Joseph Bould of Boorahman. John Foord developed much of the key buildings in the town of Wahgunyah. ref
On the Murray River north of Wangaratta.
By 1860 the run was owned by Read and Younger
see also the town of Wahgunyah
Where did the name Wahgunyah come from
Some think that the name could come from a comment by the local aboriginals when they say the white settlers house. Wah - big, Gunyah - a shelter
The original aboriginal owners
It is thought that the area was occupied by the Whroo of the Kwat Kwat. They had a camp at Lake Moodemere or Bulgeaba.
The first selectors
Much of Wahgunyah had been selected by this time
Outbreak of pleuro pneumonia in the area (Argus1/12/79)
The KellyGang knew the area of Wahgunyah well
Enjoy this wonderful part of our history, but Please respect the privacy of the current owners