...a place in the KellyGang story
On the Murray River east of Corryong
The first squatting run to be established in the Upper Murray area by squatters from the Monaroa.
First taken up in 1837 by Rowland Shelley (18,000 acres). In 1848 the lease was owned by George Shelley. By 1853 Hay and Chambers had the lease but by 1858 it had been sold to Sydney Grandison Watson who could be seen as the founder of the town. See related run of Wermatong.
Where did the name Tintaldra come from
The original aboriginal owners
The first selectors
Former gold miners started selecting at Tinaldra in the early 1860's.
Historic Tintaldra, the top town at the top of the Murray River was first
settled in 1837.
In 1864 the now historically registered Tintaldra Store was built for Watson of river red gum and red stringy bark slabs - it served an area from the mountains to Wodonga and some six years later the Tintaldra Hotel was built.
At this time the town bosted that it had the only punt on the Upper Murray for many years. It also was on the main north-south route to the Manaro.
The River Murray was the border with New South Wales and Tintaldra had a customs house. The post office, opened in 1867, served a big area, from Cudgewa in the south-west to Walwa to the north-west.
People who wanted to select land in the area had to lodge their applications with the police at Tintaldra.
The town also had a doctor, blacksmith and wheelwright, and the local Road Board met there.
The pub, built in the mid 1870's was called the Pet Lamb. It is now called the Tintaldra Hotel.
Tintaldra was at the north eastern corner of the North-Eastern police district (RC1718)
A major bridge was built over the Upper Murray at Tintaldra in 1914
A large part of Tintaldra was resumed after World War I and used for 200 acre soldier settlement blocks
Enjoy this wonderful part of our history, but Please respect the privacy of the current owners