...a place in the KellyGang story
Rupertswood was built by the Clarke family in the 1870s
Rupertswood was the home of the Clarke family. It was built by Sir William and Lady Janet Clarke near Sunbury in 1874. The house was the country home and social centre of importance in the 18870s and 1880s. It is also known to cricketers as the home of the story of 'the ashes', (the trophy for the test matches played between England and Australia)
Sup Hare's wife Janet Snodgrass was an aunt of Janet Lady Clarke, Sir William Clarke's wife
Sup Hare gave Janet Lady Clarke a suit of Kelly armour and the rifle Ned Kelly used at the siege at Glenrowan.
The Clarke family had a stand made and the armour stood near the front door, at the foot of the main stair case and opposite the grandfather clock .
See also (JJK) (JJK)
Rupertswood was owned by Sir Rupert Clarke after his father's death. He sold
it to his brother, William Clarke who sold it to H.V. McKay. The next owner
was the Salesian Society who established the Rupertswood College.
In recent years the main homestead has been turned into a major resort hotel
When William Clarke left Rupertswood he took the armour and the rifle with him to his home in Melbourne. The rifle was put in the gun rack and the armour was consigned to the cellar. There it was covered with a pile of horse rugs and the cellar was filled with Mallee roots. He considered Kelly to be a criminal and saw no reason to show off the armour as a trophy.
Enjoy this wonderful part of our history, but Please respect the privacy of the current owners