...a place in the KellyGang story
First permanent settler was William Clark but there may have been a homestead at Waldara since 1838. (16,000 acres)
The first settler at the actual crossing site was Thomas Rattray who established a sly grog shop and a punt service adjacent the southern riverbank in 1838. The following year the enterprise was sold to William Clark. He built a slab-timber store with a bark roof . He later built a larger and better structure which served as the Hope Inn.
In 1876 the license was owned by William Newcomen, ? acres, £11/5 license fee half year
The original aboriginal owners
Site of Wangaratta
By the time of the KellyGang Ovens Crossing Place had been taken over by the town of Wangaratta and selectors
Enjoy this wonderful part of our history, but Please respect the privacy of the current owners