...a place in the KellyGang story
In the late 1830's Joseph Hanson travelled to the Upper Murray and was later followed by a 13 year old James. They took up the Nariel Run on behalf of Charles Wheeler. Charles and Mary followed accompanied by the rest of their children (Sarah, Mary Ann, Charles, William, Alice and George). Alice married TB Waters another famous Corryong pioneer. James and Joseph later take up the Colac Colac run. Colac Colac was owned by the Wheeler family for many years.
In 1876 the license was held by Charles Wheeler, ? acres, license fee half year £81/5
Where did the name Nariel come from
The original aboriginal owners
The first selectors
Enjoy this wonderful part of our history, but Please respect the privacy of the current owners