...a place in the KellyGang story
The first selections in Moyhu were made in about 1856.
The name could come from the names of two chinese vegetable growers, Ah Moy and Ah Yu. Others say it is a corruption of Myrrhee.
Selections in the area (Argus12/10/66))
Andrew Byrne was the President of the Oxley Shire Council (OMA4/5/1879)
The police horse that the KellyGang collected from the police at Jerilderie had been bred by Mr John Evans, of Red Camp, near Moyhu. (JJK)
Graves believed that the principal time that the KellyGang were out they kept in the immediate neighborhood between Greta and Moyhu. Either at Glenmore Station, or on the Hedi Station. There were always strange horses whenever he went up, or marks of strange horse in paddocks. It was his impression that they were in the district the whole time. (RC15507)
Early residents included
William Blackwell (1794-1869) , his son William Blackwell (1825-1912), his daughter Catherine (1829-1904) and son in law William Lewis (1828-1895)
William & Catherine Lewis selected land at “Springfield” Moyhu approximately 640 acres bounded by Wangaratta/Whitfield Rd on the west, Browns Ln on the north, King River on the east and New Light Rd on the south. Their house was near where Timm’s garage now stands. They ran beef cattle and a dairy herd. They had 13 children.
Their son William Lewis (1855-1930) had a farm “The New Flower’ Moyhu and also owned the butchers shop and hotel.
Their daughter Ellen (born Moyhu 1864-1950) married Benjamin Jones (1852-1935) and took up one of the first selections of land at Meadow Creek with Dominic Farrell
See also Graham Jones, Memories of Oxley
Enjoy this wonderful part of our history, but Please respect the privacy of the current owners