...a place in the KellyGang story
The area had been part of the squatting run of Carraramgurmungee.
Started as a gold mining center on Spring Creek called Mayday Hills. At a height of 550 meters. A Gold Commissioners camp was established in the area in 1852. For the first few years the town consisted of tents with very few buildings.
The area had had the official name of the May Day Hills, but it was often known as Spring Creek or Reid's Creek. In 1853 the town was surveyed and named Beechworth. By 1856 the area had a population of about 10,000.
Between 1855 and 1860 most of the major public buildings that we enjoy today were built.
The Ovens and Murray Exhibition was a significant event (Argus23/8/66)
Former major gold mining centre, east of Wangaratta, and still one of the largest towns in North Eastern Victoria
Town with the horse with the golden shoes. What really happened (T&C8/4/1871)
The city was the site of many great parades and marches.
Description of the town (Argus26/2/73)
Beechworth was the centre of the Ovens gold field (Argus22/1/76) Production levels (Alexandra24/5/1872)
How was the gold mined in the area; detailed description. (Argus22/1/76)
Before the railway arrived, the cost or transport was an issue (Argus10/4/60) (Argus25/6/60) (Argus2/4/61)
The Rocky Mountain Extended Company, in 1875 started cutting a tunnel through granite, over 700 yards long, under Beechworth
On Boxing Day 1879 there was a fire brigade hose and reel competition between teams from Beechworth and Chiltern that was watched by a large crowd in Ford Street.
The main routes to Beechworth where from Melbourne via Greta and over the Ovens and from Wodonga in the north. Prior to the arrival of the railway Wangarratta was largely cut off from Beechworth because of the state of the road into the mountains; "it would shake the teeth out of a saw".
The railway from Wangaratta to Beechworth was completed in late August 1876
- the opening of the line (Argus30/9/76)
Postal service from Beechworth to Everton
to Yacandandah via Wooragee;
to Wahgunyah via Chiltern, Indigo, and Rutherglen
to Hillsbrough via Stanley
and to Tarawingee Station via Reid's Creek, Woolshed, Reidford, and Eldorado
and between Wangaratta ,Oxley, Milawa, Moyhu Post Office, Taylor's Gap, Murmungee,and Beechworth
12 solderers from the artillery were stationed in Beechworth in early 1879 under Sergeant O'Neill.
The first lock up was built in 1852. Work on the present building was commenced in 1857. Mr Castieau was the jailer. He was in charge of the Melbourne Goal at the time of Ned Kelly's execution.
Beechworth Court House
Beechworth Mining Board (Alexandra11/6/1869)
Bible Society (OMA27/2/79)
The Buckland Gap is about 5km south of the town
A suit of armour was wanted for the Burke Museum (OMA1/7/80)
Mr Geddes, Camp Street
Ovens Gold and Tin Mining Company No Liability
Dr Hutchinson practiced in the late 1850s
Dr Cleary (Argus8/11/78)
Dr Thomas Dick practiced in the late 1870s
Dr Frederick Peter Deshon practiced in the late 1870s
Dr William Augustus Dobbyn, see Aaron Sherritt's inquest (Argus7/5/74) (OMA27/2/79) looked after Ned Kelly (Herald8/8/80)
Henry Tregellis Fox (Argus7/5/74)
Phelan, Asked to serve an order on Aaron Sherritt for Mr Willis. (RC14044)
Grieg and Wilson
In 1857 at the hight of the golden days of Beechworth there were about 60 licensed hotels.
Many sympathizers and other gathered at the Empire at the start of Ned Kelly's trial (Herald5/8/80)
The district hospital was a major building and the nearest hospital in New South Wales was in Goulburn. Work commenced in 1856 and added to during the 1860s and 1870s. Today only facade and a few major trees remain.
Members of the hospital Board (OMA27/2/1879)
Dr Antoine Mousse
Mechanics' Institute and Free Library
Registrar of Mines
Mining Surveyor H Davidson
Mining Board (OMA27/2/79) (Argus15/8/64)
Rocky Mountain Extended Gold Sluicing Co Limited Spring Creek 1876
Office, William St
Manager, John Turner
Directors, William Telford, Thomas Dalziel
The Star Mining Company
South Alabama Quartz Mining Company Limited
Met in Oldfellows Hall once a mnoth
' 'The Ovens and Murray Advertiser' was started in 1855. 'The Constitution and Mining Intelligence' was started by Mr Nixon in 1856 and it produced its last edition in 1867.
Ovens Benevolent Aslum
A major building
Ovens District Hospital
By 1878 the three police districts of Benalla Ovens and Upper Goulburn were brought together with the head quarters in Beechworth. It was the largest town in the area. Soon after the police district was based in Benalla.
Insp Brook Smith was in charge at Beechworth at the time of the murders at Stringy Bark Creek (RC134)
SConst Mullane, Det Ward, Const Williamson were stationed at Beechworth.
Beechworth was the home base of a police district in the days before the KellyGang. (RC186)
Const Fitzpatrick was stationed at Beechworth for a time (RC12807)
Const Henry Casey.
Magazine keeper Const Samuel Maude
The station was built in the late 1870s. Beechworth was serviced by special engines on the line from Wangarratta because of the gradient on the line as it climbed into the mountains
Gammon Chemist (OMA13/2/1879)
London House (OMA29/6/1880)
Boot maker ;W Jacobs Boot Manufacturer, Ford Street Beechworth (OMA29/6/1880)
Dress maker ; Miss G F Aitken (OMA29/6/1880)
Beechworth Grammar School (OMA29/6/1880)
Mr HE Cheshire was the officer in charge of the telegraph station.
Alex Thomson the chief operator (OMA1/7/80)
Hastings, Cunningham, and Co (OMA13/2/1879)
The Local Government Commission came to town (Argus26/2/73)
In late 1879 when there was a threat that the KellyGang might hold up the banks Mr Deverell, the Postmaster, erected a telegraphic communication between all the banks and the police station, by wires being placed, and the uniting of these wires would cause an alarm at the banks and station, at any hour of the day or night that the KellyGang was likely to come. If they came to one of the banks, the station bell would ring, and police would be able to respond to the alert. (RC13584)
The Royal Commission said it was a grave error to reduce the size of the Beechworth police station (RC2ndReport)
Visit the town of Beechworth and the surounding area
Enjoy this wonderful part of our history, but Please respect the privacy of the current owners